Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Dan In Real Life - Life as a soon to be Architect

I decided to be an Architect back when I was about 6 or 7 years old.  I narrowed my long list of careers down to 4 choices: a Doctor, a Jet Pilot, a car designer, and an Architect.  I decided to go with the Architect role, because I thought that I could learn a lot of cool things, help a lot of people and make a difference in the world around me.  Now that my goal of becoming an Architect is almost complete, (cross your fingers on the upcoming last test) I look back and sometimes think that maybe I just should have been a Doctor if I really wanted to help people, or a Jet Pilot would have been a really exciting and fun career.  Then I remember something that my Father told me.  He said, Dan what ever career you choose, choose one that will take care of your family and one that you love doing.

So today on my way to work and wile stuck in morning traffic I started thinking about my career choice.  I thought that I may never make a difference in the world of Architecture by building a huge skyscraper with my name on it, and that someday I hope that I can get a client that says, "Money is no object, just give me the best design in the world."  Until then I will wait for that client and do my best to design on a budget.  A very small budget.  

Then there are those days when you actually get to see something that you designed get built.   The reason why I love being an Architect.  Wow... that is really a great feeling, the feeling of having a thought or an idea in your mind get turned into a drawing and then suddenly a hole in the ground appears on a piece of empty land and that idea, like a set of Legos, starts coming together piece by piece just as I saw it in my head a few months ago.   Well today I had that feeling, and a little bit more.  

I just found out that a business article was written about one of my building designs that was recently completed.   It is called System Tech.  

See the following link to the article: http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive.htm/2009/01/19/System-Tech-opens-new-Boise-HQ-training-center

The writer of the article did not give the ascetics or design of the building much justice and it only mentioned my firm at the very end of the article, so I am posting a couple of good pictures.   The newspapers used to post an article on all new buildings...  But they stopped doing that because it became free advertising for architects.

It is really just a big warehouse, but the owner gave me a little freedom to add a little high tech flare to the building.  I think that it turned out pretty nice.  





Well thanks to the owner for reminding me of the reason  why I love Architecture so much.




4 comments:

Will said...

Wow, a post & a catchy title. Way to go! The nerdy side of me wishes you had mentioned what your high tech inclusions were.

Michael said...

Three things.

1. Good luck with the test. I'm sure that one does better at taking tests when they are not about to die.

2. Very nice design. You've left a desire to see the rest of the building.

3. I'm glad to see you post to the blog.

:-)

Penny said...

We think you are an awesome architect and one of your accomplishments is well on its way to completion. It was definitely design on a budget, but I think you were still able to give it some really nice architectural features, and you will get to see your handiwork (and actually stay there!) whenever you are in McCall.

I also like the picture of the building you designed, it looked very cool.

Good luck on the test, I hope it goes well so you can be done!

Kristin said...

Hey I actualy like the look of that wear house. That is pretty cool that you designed it.